Sunday, March 19, 2006



Happy Birthday to My Oldest!

The sweet baby breath was gentle on my cheek. She smiled with her tiny lips, and sighed contentedly as she snuggled her head under my chin.

Feelings of incredible joy, of a love so deep I could hardly breath, washed over me. This perfect little baby was mine. God had entrusted her to my care. I began to sing a song to her which my dad had sang to me that he had made up for me when I was a baby, a simple yet comforting song with just two lines which were repeated over and over again. Singing that song seemed to bring me closer to him, even though his soul had passed in the night a few days earlier. He died soon after meeting two of his long-held goals: he wanted to live to be 80, and he wantled to live until I became a mom.

He hadn't met his granddaughter yet, but he loved her fiercely just the same. When I called him to tell him about her birth, he asked me if I rememberd the little song he used to sing to me. I told him that, of course, I remembered it. He began to sing it to me one more time, so softly at first, and then his voice grew stronger. At the end of his song, I could hear him crying. It was the last time I had ever heard his voice.

This child grew up ever so quickly. She is a young woman now, turning 18 tomorrow. I looked at her sleeping face tonight, and there was a smile of contentment on her lips just as before when she was a baby. She knows she is loved by so many. She knows that the world is hers to make a difference in, and that she has a lifetime ahead of her to help make it a better place in which to live. She knows she is a child of God, and that she wants to spread His love to others by serving all with whom she comes in contact.

There have been moments of incredible joy, and moments of gut-wrenching sadness over the years. And with each experience, we grew closer, bound by a love so strong that nothing could destroy it. Through the laughter and the tears, we held each other close, and we never let go.

She's a young adult now, and my job is nearing an end. But one thing will always remain the same - she will always be that baby girl who loved to snuggle under my chin as I gently rocked her to sleep.

Happy Birthday, Sara!

9 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

happy birthday sara!!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Pilgrim said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter, and many happy returns. God bless the year ahead with peace and joy.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Catherine West said...

Gee thanks for making me sit here and cry!!!
I hope your daughter has a wonderful birthday.
By the way, I don't think a mother's job is ever over!!

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Kevin: Thank you so much for your comment - it means a lot to me.

Barbara: I am planning on letting Sara read all of her birthday wishes from my blogging friends. She'll appreciate yours, coming all the way across the ocean!

Paula: I made myself cry, too! I didn't know what was going to come out last night when I sat down to write this post, but when I started thinking about my dad and that song - the words just tumbled out. Thank you for your wishes.

Mrs. D: Thanks!!

Julana: I'm praying for peace and joy for her as well, thank you!

Cathy: You're welcome - LOL! I don't think my job is done, either - but it's just done differently now that she's an adult.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger JodiTucker said...

You're still a mom.....always will be, but the "job description" changes quite a bit as they leave the nest. I have tried to instill in my kids (now almost all grown) that you gradually go from dependence on your parents to interdependence with others, including parents, but always, always dependence on God. In reality, no one is ever so independent that they can do life all on their own.....OK, sermonette by jodi now done....your blog was heartwarming, Val!!

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Sounds like you can hardly believe she's almost grown up...But hope she has a lot of fun being a big bad adult :)

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

Happy Birthday!

Don't worry mom, no matter how old TP gets, your cooking will always be good enough to come home too, and you will always be the one she turns to for the really tough advice!

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

What a wonderful post....you gave me the chills.

Happy Birthday to your baby girl.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

Once again, that was so awesome! You write well.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page