Tuesday, March 07, 2006



It's in the Details

My mind has been a bit preoccupied lately with details, just so many details. There are the plans to make for TP's upcoming 18th birthday and her graduation, there are scholarship forms still to be filled out, there is a to-do list which keeps on growing longer for household upkeep which needs to be completed before the end of May, there is a situation with my husband's home based business which is driving me nuts, there is billing to do for my private practice, there are business and personal phone calls that will require hours on the phone, there is personal and business correspondence which is waiting patiently for my attention, and. . . well, you get the idea.

My husband says that my strength is in the details, that I am good at organization. Secretly, I think that's his way of getting out of doing some things (just kidding, honey!). Part of my job as a wife and mom is attending to the details and the schedules of our family. I've tried to show my girls the value of having a planner so they don't forget certain deadlines or duties which they need to take care of - and, one of them is great at it, while the other one would rather let things happen as they may. As a result, our family is evenly divided - those who are very detail oriented, and those who are off in la-la land when it comes to paying close attention to things. If truth be known, these two camps rub each other the wrong way, sometimes.

This detail stuff can be exhausting. I'm sure being off in la-la land is exhausting, too (she says with tongue planted firmly in cheek). How does one become more like the other?

7 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger JodiTucker said...

Yes, details take forever!...However, It is so relaxing to focus on the Lord for even short tidbits to counteract the "tyranny of the urgent." Val, the senior year can be a real stressor with all the details that parents must have a part in (FAFSA, help with scholarships, help in some decisions, etc. etc.) For us, two graduated and one to go next school year!! Our families seems similar with the detailed and not-so-detailed minded all trying to live peacefully. Praying for you right now at school.....Jodi

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

I don't know either but man, would I love to figure it out.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

don't forget to take some time out for yourself!!

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Stacy said...

I'm with you honey, I'm living that too. You take care.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger the tentmaker said...

...and never the twain shall meet...

Don't knock the "la-la-land." As you have already aluded to, it is less stressful.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Let me get this straight. You're not a type a but you play one on TV?

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

Boy, I can sure relate:-)
Thanks for your recent comments. Praying for you, my friend.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page