Tuesday, February 20, 2007



The Lenten Season

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. Last year, I participated in a group blog and found the experience quite fulfilling. This year, what with all the changes going on in my life, I have decided to focus solely on deepening my relationship with Christ throughout the next 40 days. There are things I am going to do outwardly - such as attend Mass more than once a week, go to Eucharistic Adoration one time a week, and begin a year-long journey by praying "The Fifteen St. Bridget Prayers" each night. This prayer focuses on Jesus' suffering and death. I prayed it for a year in the 1980's and the experience was amazing as my understanding and appreciation of the Lord's suffering deepened. There are things I am going to be diong inwardly, too - which I may or may not share with you as I go through this process. It is my hope that my journey over the next forty days will allow me to become a more compassionate and humble person who will follow God's will at ALL times, and not just when His plan happens to coincide with mine.

4 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger HeyJules said...

We sure will miss you over at the prayer blog but I totally understand your decision. Do stop by and join us in the comments section though.

May God bless and grace you through this period of reflection.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger ann said...

Valerie, thank you for visiting my site and for leaving caring comments! I read your blogs regularly and am inspired by many of them. My religion has never recognized "lent" as time for us to make changes. I have friends who do make changes for those days of Lent and like the idea of making changes - not only for Lent, but continuing good changes throughout the year. I'm not familiar with "The Fifteen St. Bridget Prayers", but am going to look into it - sounds like an amazing study! I strive daily in my walk with God and anything that can help me to better serve Him is something worth studying. I am making some changes in my life now - now that I have time on my hands without my Mom and can focus on myself a bit more. I will be praying for you as you begin your Lent journey!

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Hey Carol - I'm keeping you in my prayers, too!

Jules - I'll still visit the blog, believe me! God's blessings to you as well.


Ann - I like the idea of making changes throughout the year, too - but the Lenten season tends to motivate me even more due to the sacrificial nature of these changes. If you have any trouble finding those prayers, let me know, and I'll send you the link. Take care, you're in my thoughts and prayers.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page