Thursday, August 09, 2007



Going through Life

DQ is in band camp this week - 12 hour days in the sweltering sun and drenching humidity. And she's loving every minute of it. Granted, she comes home exhausted and her feet hurt - but there is a self-confidence and happiness about her which I haven't seen in a long, long time. You see, she's been through a lot the past several years - what with TP's illness and hospitalizations, the racism and cruelty she experienced from her peers at a small private schoo, and the worry she felt during her older sister's first year away at college. All of these factors made her withdrawn and shy and anxious, and she had difficulty coping with many things.

But not now. She has back to the "old" DQ - the one I haven't seen in probably 4 years. There's a smile on her face, and an eagerness to get up out of bed and face each day. There are hugs now, and willingness to talk about what is going on in her head.

The "old" TP has returned, too. She has found her way back - and she is happier than I've seen her in such a very long time. Probably since before her illness started. She has a great boyfriend, is putting money away for college, is going to church every Sunday, and is excited about starting her sophomore year in October at her new school. She'll be living at home for the rest of her college life - and that is a good thing.

I missed my "old" girls over the past few years - I missed when they were full of life and happiness rather than sadness and anxiety and anger. A lot of life-draining experiences has happened to our family over the past 4 and a half years, and all of us were reacting to them in similar and yet different ways. But now, it feels like the cloud has been lifted. Our house is a happy one again - the tension is gone, replaced with more kindness and patience and consideration of each other. It's amazing what the effects from chronic illness and racism can do to a family - and I know it was pulling mine apart. But through it all, God remained a constant and faithful presence in our midst. He gently pulled us through all of the crap that was going on, helped to comfort and guide us, and showed us the way to joining together once again.

I am so relieved. So happy. And I appreciate all the prayers that each of you offered on my behalf - you have been awesome in your support and understanding and kindness and love. Thanks! My prayer now is that CJ and her family can see how powerful God was through my darkest hours, so that she knows He will be just as ever-present to her now as He was to me.

5 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger Carol ReMarks said...

Ah, the precious sands of time.

Good for you! I am happy for you.

Breathe in, breathe out baby girl! That's what I tell myself, too. ;-)

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Val, I'm so very pleased and relived that things have worked out so well for your girls. God can use everything for a good outcome :-)

Thank you for sharing your family's life journeys through the darkness and the pain, it's alll the more heartwarming when we know just how much you have all gone through and how well deserved is this time of familial joy!

Big Hugs

Deb X

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Oh Valarie (with a huge smile on my face) I am so glad for you, you all sound so happy!

 
At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds a bit like my story..things are looking up for us too...like your blog..

God bless

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

HI Carol! Love your new picture! The sands of time can sometimes turn into the MUD or even the quicksands of time - I think I experienced them both the past year or so!

Deb - Thanks for all of your support, sweetie. You've been a constant source of strength for me - and I truly appreciate it! Love to you and yours.

Sarah - Thanks! Based on what I read over at your place, you guys seem to be having lots of fun, too!

Welcome to my blog, Jackie! I aprpeciate your visit and your comments.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page