Sunday, June 18, 2006



Happy Father's Day

First of all, I would like to wish all of you dads out there a very Happy Father's Day. All of you bear such huge burdens and responsibilities on your shoulders every day - and believe me, all of us women- wives and daughters - appreciate all that you do so much. We don't say it often enough, but believe me, we are very grateful!

My husband and I and our girls went to Mass this morning with his mom and dad. It was also his dad's birthday today. The priest said a special prayer for all fathers, and I must have had a wistful look on my face because my oldest daughter leaned over and asked me why I looked so sad. I explained that it was because I was thinking of my dad, who has been gone now for over eighteen years.

My dad was a hard-working guy - he was a firemen and a bricklayer. He raised the six of us on a meager income and a huge heart. He had a devilish grin and a sense of humor that was sometimes a bit raunchy. He loved my mom until the day he died, even though she had died 20 years before he did. My dad was the typical Irish bloke, who loved to tell stories and drink beer. While he only went up to the eighth grade in school, he was extremely intelligent in many ways. His love of life was infectious. I was his "baby girl" all the way - and I knew I could wrap him around my little finger whenever I wanted something special (like a hug or his forgiveness).

I am sure I've just described a lot of the fathers out there - who would give of themselves endlessly. Thanks, Dad, for all that you gave to me. And thanks to my father-in-law, who has been like a second dad to me. And many thanks to my husband, who is my kids' dad - the best dad around! And endless thanks to my Heavenly Father - who has given me so much.

5 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

lovely post and wow you must have been very young when your mom died. (hugs)

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Jeff H said...

It's hard missing dad, isn't it?

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger ukok said...

(((HUG))) I know it's hard for you to miss your Dad. My daughter misses her dad so much that it almost breaks my heart to not be able to do something about it. I'm sorry if my post was insensitive, often we forget that many do not share in our joys, whatever they may be.

God Bless you Val.

p.s. I have a metal badge and postcard that have been blessed at Walsingham that I'd like to offer you. Please contact me with your details if you would like me to send them ...remember when I went to Walsingham last month? :-)

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Spirit of Adoption said...

Amen, Amen, Amen! Couldn't have said it better! : ) Thanks for sharing about your dad too - very special!!!

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Nothing makes a father's day like seeing his family in church.

I'm sure it still makes your father's day too. Remember he still watches you. And you make him very happy.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page