Thursday, May 18, 2006



Musings of a Busy Mom

It's been a flurry of activities around our house over the past week or so - getting the house ready for graduation guests, award ceremonies at school, my birthday, and Mother's Day. Each of these activities bring their own set of emotions and thoughts, and sometimes it feels like I'm on an emotional roller coaster.

The house is starting to look less cluttered as we purge the things we haven't used in ages. Some of those things have brought back memories of when the girls were younger - a totally different stage of my life and theirs.

DQ received a gold medal and a Summa Cum Laude certificate for her outstanding performance in the National Latin Examination - the highest honor possible. She dearly loves her Latin teacher and is enjoying this language very much (which I find totally amazing). TP received several certificates last night for her participation in Teen Institute, which is a program which promotes a drug and alcohol free lifestyle. Next week will be her award ceremony at school, and I'll need to bring some kleenex to that event! Tomorrow is her last official day of high school - and thus, she will end a significant part of her life.

My birthday brought some lovely presents and cards from family and friends near and far. It was a fun and relaxing day. TP brought home a beautiful bouquet of flowers and balloons for me - such a surprise and loving gesture! DQ gave me a beautiful crystal rose with a mirror which is placed underneath the rose. And my hubby also surprised me with a pretty bouquet of flowers and also a silk flower arrangement for my dining room table. Does anybody else see a pattern here? I was very spoiled by my family, and I felt quite loved and appreciated.

Mother's Day was a bit different this year. My husband played golf and the girls had to work a shift at the restaurant where they are employed, so I had a lot of time by myself. It gave me some time to ponder the changes which are taking place in my family, as we face TP's departure in the fall. This process of letting go is much more painful than I ever thought it would be, at many different levels, and I found myself in tears off and on throught the day. In the evening, we had a nice dinner at a restaurant nearby.

I find myself in a melancholy mood more often than not lately. God is working in my heart and soul, helping me to evaluate my life and my relationships, and comforting me as I go through all of the departures in my life - the unused items which represented a more carefree time in our lives, the younger version of myself who no longer exists, and the separation of my oldest away from the family. My life is changing so drastically right now, and it is in such unfamiliar territory.



5 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger Pilgrim said...

You've built a great family over the years. I admire you for that.

I dread the stages of letting go that will come for us and our son, who will always be more dependent on others than most individuals are.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger JodiTucker said...

Val,
Sure hope to talk to you personally one day......maybe meet in Mansfield some day (half way between our homes) as the empty nest is a big change for both of us. At this point I am embracing it, yet I still do have a senior in HS for next school year. I could be a sobbing baby when she graduates??

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Julana - I know exactly what you mean! Thank you for your kinds words.

Jodi - We used to go skiing in Mansfield! Anyway, I would love to meet you personally, too. Let's talk more about it during summer break, ok?

Paula - I so appreciate you! You're the best!

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Stacy said...

It all happens too fast, doesn't it? My best to you and yours.

 
At 2:09 AM, Blogger Biker Betty said...

It's a hard stage to get used to. I two sons, 11 & 17. Both graduate this spring. One from elementary school and one from high school. I'm having a harder time dealing with the son graduating from high school. He leaves home for college in August and I'm not ready to have him leave. But he's ready and I'm putting my trust in God and know this is His plan.

Best Wishes,

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page