Wednesday, October 11, 2006



After a While

After a while you learn the subtle difference between holding a hand and sharing a life and you learn that love doesn't mean possession and company doesn't mean security and loneliness is universal.

And you learn that kisses aren't contracts and presents aren't promises and you begin to accept your defeats with your head held up and your eyes open with the grace of a woman and not the grief of a child.

And you learn to build your hope on today as the future has a way of falling apart in mid-flight because tomorrow's ground can be too uncertain for plans yet, each step taken in a new direction creates a path toward the promise of a brighter dawn.

And you learn that even sunshine burns if you get too much so you plant your own garden and nourish your own soul instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.

And you learn that love, true love, always has joys and sorrows that seem ever present, yet is never quite the same becoming more than love and less than love . . so difficult to define.

And you learn that through it all you really can endure that you really are strong that you do have value and you learn and grow with every goodbye you learn.

~Veronica Shoffstall~

For my beautiful Princess - I love you!

7 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger ukok said...

I know you didn't post this for me, but this really touched me, Valerie. Thankyou so much.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger ann said...

Your writing is beautiful! You have certainly defined "love" in a very meaningful way! Love is an action and not an emotion - and until we learn that, I think we are destined to be hurt! Thank you for sharing your wonderful words!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Hi Deb - Every time I read this poem (it's been around for over 30 years), I get tears in my eyes.

Ann - I wish I could take credit for writing this, but I can't. But I agree that love IS an action, and not an emotion - and all of us need to be reminded of that on a daily basis!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger bigwhitehat said...

I like that. Of course, you knew I would.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger DeAnna said...

This is beautiful!! Do you mind if I print this off? I would love to save this for my girls (they are only 2 and 6 months so I realize I would be saving it for a while. :)

By the way, I noticed in a earlier post you said you were from Traverse City - my husband is from Boyne, so we have spent lots of time in Traverse when we've been up there. It is a beautiful area. I was just saying that I wish we could go up there at fall some year because I'm sure the colors are beautiful right now!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

BWH - Yes, I knew you would!

Deanna - Yes, go ahead and print it off. Mind you, I didn't write this (the author's name is underneath the poem). I saved my copy for years and years, since I was in high school. I visited your blog yesterday, and thoroughly enjoyed it - and I plan on going back for another visit and make comments sometime soon!

Kevin - Thank you, sir! You'll find the answer to your question in a couple of my comments above.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i have always loved this poem.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page