Thursday, November 09, 2006



One Year Ago

The autumn sky was a brilliant blue, and the leaves were being kicked up by the wind as she walked towards my car. Her glasses were perched on a reddened nose (thanks to a nasty cold), and the circles under her eyes were remnants from pulling a late-nighter. She walked slower than normal, but more confident than ever. There she is, I thought, and who would have ever dreamed a year ago today she was fighting for her life in PICU at Children's? If you're interested in the story, go back to my archives from last year at this time, and read the miraculous story of TP's recovery from a severe septic infection.

TP and I have a new tradition now - we go out to lunch every Thursday. I pick her up at 1:00 and we spend an hour or so catching up on news at a nearby restaurant. I am so grateful that we live less than a half hour from the university where TP is at - we're close enough so that we can keep in touch, yet far enough away so that she can have independence. Today, her voice was reduced to a whisper due to possible laryngitis - but that didn't stop her from talking about her life as a college student who's finishing up her first quarter. She's doing well academically and socially - and she's learned the art of doing papers while simultaneously handling several IM's all at once and sometimes talking on her cell phone at the same time. Multi-tasking is a useful skill to have as a college student - and a future nurse!

I'm somewhat concerned about the cold - but she'll be home tomorrow for the weekend so I can kind of keep an eye on her. Old habits die hard - I'll always worry about her and her health, I suppose. But I am not worried about this young woman's desire and ability to do well at college. She's proved herself time and time again this quarter that she is a great student, and is willing to do what it takes to be admitted into the nursing program this spring.

All I can say is - I am grateful to God for TP's continued remission. I am grateful that she loves college. I am grateful that I am no longer feeling like there is a void in my life with her departure from the nest - rather, there is a new level to our relationship that could never have been achieved if she was still living at home. Granted, I still miss her like crazy, but I am content in knowing that she is quite able to take care of herself - even when she has a nasty cold.

TP - I know you're reading this - how does homemade chicken noodle soup sound for dinner tomorrow night?! :-)



2 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Blogger HeyJules said...

It really warmed my heart this morning to hear you feeling so positive about your new relationship with TP. I never doubted you could make the transition but it's nice to know you've come to accept the change and have found a way to let your daughter be a person unto herself.

Look at what happens when you trust God with change in your life!

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger JodiTucker said...

Val, isn't it cool? Our daughters are college and we have an adult-to-adult relationship!! I love it!
Even though Bethany is only 10 minutes aways at college, she definitely has her own life there, but is able to easily pop in at home once per week (for laundry, seeing the family, and to swap clothes with her younger sister).
Her favorite food item to take back to the dorms is mashed sweet potatoes! God is so good to be walking right with us through every life transition/circumstance as we ask Him. He is an amazing God!!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page