Monday, May 28, 2007



Remembering Mom on Memorial Day

Today is my mom's birthday - she would have been 95. I was an "oops" baby - my mom didn't anticipate she'd get pregnant again because she was already going through menopause. She and my father were in the process of adopting a baby girl when mom found out she was pregnant. In a way, I wish they would have continued on with the adoption process because I would have loved to have had another sister - I have four brothers and a sister, most of whom are considerably older than I am, so it would have been fun to have had a sister with whom I could have shared the good times and the bad.

Mom was a lovely woman - a very devout Catholic who was dedicated to her vocation of being a mom. I resemble her physically, and I hope that I am like her in other ways as well. She was the youngest of six (just like me!), and her mom was older when she was born, so she was actually raised by her older sister who was about 14 years older than she was. Her mom was quite ill throughout my mom's formative years and beyond - and mom became her caretaker until my grandmother died at around the age of 90, which was a couple of years before I was born.

I lost her at a young age - she was only 56 and I was 14 - and I miss her to this day. How I wish she could have been here throughout my life - I would have loved to share all of my ups and downs, I would have loved to have sought out her advice and comfort, I would have loved for her to have met my husband and children. I have a strong belief that she watches over me and prays for me.

So, happy birthday, dear mom! I shall always hold you in my heart.

2 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Blogger ann said...

I think your mom is probably watching over you now just as I believe my parents watch over me, too. I can't imagine losing my mom at such a young age. Here I am 49 and have such a hard time with it. What a great tribute to your mom - I'm sure she's smiling!
annb

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

aww. what a sweet tribute. :)

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page