Tuesday, April 29, 2008



Happy Birtdhay, Dad!!!

Happy Birthday, Dad! Today, you would have been 100 years old!

It's hard to believe you've been gone almost twenty years. I remember our last conversation vividly. It was right after your birthday, and I was rocking TP to sleep. Your voice was frail, shaky - and I could sense your time was near. You asked how I liked being a mom, and I said I loved it. TP was only a little over a month old at the time. You asked if I ever sang to her the song you used to sing to me when I was a kid - one which you had made up especially for me. I told you that, of course, I always sang it to her and it always put her right to sleep. I could barely hear you as you started singing "She's my baby, baby girl", but I soon joined in with you. By the end of the song, we were both in tears. And I whispered "I love you, Dad". You said you loved me, too, in a choked up voice, and we said our goodbyes. That was our last conversation we ever had, as two weeks later, you went on to live with God, on the day before my 34th birthday.

Dad's goals towards the end of his life were very simple - he wanted to turn 80 and he wanted to make sure I was a mom. Once those goals were met, I am sure he thought his life was complete. Two weeks after that, he was gone.

I miss you, Dad. I could use one of your big bear hugs right now. How I wish you could have met my kids - you would have loved them and protected them. I know exactly what you'd be saying right now about the situation with TP - and I would probably have to refrain you from saying and doing a few things.

I was your baby, your little girl, and your eyes would dance with laughter and love when you'd see me coming rushing into your arms when I saw you walking down the sidewalk to come home from work. I would snuggle in your arms as a little one, while you sang "your" song to me (a little off-key), and I felt so loved and so protected and so safe. As I grew older, I knew that you would always watch over me. There were several boyfriends I had which you hated and I couldn't quite figure out why - but your wisdom eventually became evident to me as they began to show their true colors. But there was one whom you liked instantly. You respected him, too. You knew he loved me, and you knew he would never hurt me. You knew that he would be a good provider and that he would never turn me against my family. The two of you shared a special bond, and you would joke around all the time. I loved watching the two of you together - and sometimes, you would even gang up on me and tease me to no end. When he asked you for my hand in marriage, he got down on his bended knee to do so - and that touched you so much. Without hesitation, you said "yes". You would be so happy to know that the young man I married almost 33 years ago is still my husband to this day. You would be glad to know that he has never let me down, he has been a wonderful husband, he has been a great dad who has sacrificed his time and energy for his kids to be a good provider without expecting anything in return (a little appreciation would be nice, sometimes!), and that he loves his girls as much as you loved yours.

So, Dad, even though I am still a little sad today over the more recent events in my family, I can still think of you with a smile on my face and gratitude in my heart that God chose you to be my earthly father. Thanks for all you did for me. I love you.

4 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Blogger dlyn said...

Just a quick stop in to say hello and see how you are doing. Continuing to keep your family in my prayers. This post is a lovely tribute to your Dad - it seems as though he was a very special person and I am sure he would be so blessed to read your words.

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty choked up just reading this beautiful tribute to your Dad. God Bless you Val, just as I feel blessed to read this ittle vignette into the beautiful relationship that you shared with your Dad.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

Thank you Valerie for sharing this tribute to your
Dad. I am someone who grew up without a "Dad." Oh I had a father....but the alcohol clouded my "Daddy." I am so blessed by your words today--and am so thankful for the relationship you had with your Daddy that is still alive in your heart! And, may I say, in the lives of your daughters too! Even though he never met them......they must know him.....by you!

God is so-o-o-o-o good......He is.....good! I have posted a song, and will be praying as I dedicate this song to YOU my friend.....that God will hold you in his loving hands.....as you miss your Daddy...but continue to trust your Heavenly Father just as you trusted your Daddy.

Blessings!

Diane

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Gwen said...

Hi Val,

What a lovely tribute to your father. I'm so glad you had that wonderful conversation with him! That is something so special to hold on to forever!

I've just caught up on what is going on with TP and I want you to know my heart and prayers are with you. I have a sister in much the same situation. Keeping the faith they both will come back to God and their family.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page