Wednesday, May 28, 2008



Hapoy Birthday, Mom

Today would have been my mom's 96th birthday. She had me later in her life (she was 42), and I was considered an "oops" baby. In fact, mom and dad were in the process of adopting another infant girl when they found out she was pregnant with me. In a way, I wish they would have continued on with their adoption plans because I would have loved to have had another sister!

Mom was a devout Catholic who loved her 6 children so incredibly much. She died at a young age (56), and she had written a letter to my dad expressing her sadness over not being able to finish her job of raising their children. Mom was a kind and gentle soul. Her words of advice to me about getting married were two-fold: one was to watch and see how your prospective spouse treated his mom and that is how he will treat you; and second was to marry a good provider. I followed my mom's advice when I chose my husband. He treats his mom with such respect and caring. And, he has been a wonderful provider. He has ALWAYS worked hard - sometimes three jobs at a time - to make sure that we survived at first, and then thrived as we sucessfully got through some rough waters. I've imparted those words of wisdom on to my daughters, and pray that they will eventually heed my advice when it comes time for them to marry. I want them to know what it's like to have a man who puts them first before his own wants and needs, who cherishes them for who they are and not what they can give to them, and who makes sure their emotional and monetary needs are met as a result of their relationship. I want them to have a husband who puts God above all else, and never ask them to do anything which is immoral or which goes against God's teaching - because that man is a true treasure to find and to keep. Anybody less than that is not a man to marry because he will never bring true joy and true love to the marriage.

I am certain Mom is in heaven, watching over me, and praying for my current situation. I do miss her horribly - I wish she could have been here for me when I went to prom, graduated from high school and college, got married, and had kids. I think she would be proud of me, I think she would have approved of and loved my husband, and I know she would just dearly love my kids, and that means more to me than anything in the world.

So, happy birthday, Mom. I love you and miss you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page