Wednesday, May 07, 2008



A Mother's Prayer

Dear Lord:

You have given to me the incredible gift of motherhood, entrusting two daughters in my care to raise them, guide them, nurture them, and love them.

Today, I am giving one of them back to you. She is Yours, Lord, and I know you love her far greater than I do, and that you will watch over her.

We have tried all that we can do, Lord. We have offered help, we have begged and pleaded, we have bent over backwards, we have loved and forgiven her countless times. Yet, she has rejected us over and over again. There is nothing more we can do at this point, there is nothing more we will do other than pray.

For she has disowned us. She has thrown all that we have to offer back in our faces. She has treated us with utter contempt and disdain and disrespect. She has chosen to not be a part of our family anymore through her words and actions and the choices she has made. She has hurt us beyond the imaginable, and she shows no remorse.

So, we pray that someday she will find her way home - to us and to You, Lord. We don't know when that will be - it could be months or it could be years or it may not even happen in our lifetime. It's her choice - but we are here if she is ready to become part of the family again.

My birthday and Mother's Day will be difficult this year, but I shall make it through. I have the love and support from my husband and my other daughter, and other family members and friends. And, of course, I have received my comfort and strength from you, Lord. Thank you for all you have given to me.

You have given me the incredible gift of motherhood, Oh Lord. I am still "my kids' mom", even though one of them has decided to turn her back on me. The twenty years I gave to her are not lost - rather, I know in my heart that I gave her my very best, and hopefully what I gave to her is still living within her heart. Hopefully, what I gave to her will whisper to her in the darkness of night while she's thinking of me, and she will remember all the closeness and love that we shared, and she will long to return home.

Keep her safe in the palm of Your hand, dear Lord. She is yours now, and that brings me peace.

2 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val, all we can do in this situation, is to keep watch (like the father of the prodigal son) and to pray.

(((hugs and prayers to you my friend)))

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Gwen said...

I will continue to pray. You will be in my thoughts and prayers this weekend.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page