Friday, October 17, 2008



I'm getting ready to head to Michigan this morning, but first off, I decided to let you know my thoughts of where my blog is heading.

I've had several readers ask me if I'd be willing to talk more about what I do as a counselor. While I can't discuss specific cases on this blog, I can discuss topics of interest which my readers (or I) might have, I can discuss generalities of what it's like to be a counselor, and I can discuss some questions which you might have.

So, here is what I'd like to do. I'd like to start posting a series of entries about mental health topics - such as eating disorders, abusive relationships, parenting issues, etc. I would also like to focus on faith and how it affects a person's well-being. I would like to open up a weekly column where my readers send in questions and I try to answer them to the best of my ability, with the understanding that my answers are not to be construed as therapy or a substitute for therapy.

I thought about changing my name of the blog, but I am going to continue posting about my family life; and besides, I like the name of my blog because it represents the core of my being.

So, what are your thoughts? Would you be interested in this? I notice I get a lot of hits on my sitemeter, and the majority of them are from people who keep on coming back on a fairly consistent manner, but not too many comments. So, please stop "lurking" out there, and let me know if you'd like these changes to happen. Once I get some feedback, I will decide how to proceed on making these changes.

So, I'm off on vacation. God bless, and I hope to hear from ALL of you!!

9 Comments:

At 4:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be very interesteed in reading the kind of posts you mention. I think i've blogged before about my compulsive tendencies especially with regard to eating and i know a bit about why i do that but would love to have your insight on things like eating disorders and other mental health issues.

I think it would be a really god thing. I say go for it girlfriend!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I haven't really had time to visit or comment on blogs lately, I am so sorry. I think you have good ideas, I have a friend who is going for her masters in counseling, I think she might find this very interesting and helpful. I'll give her the link!

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, would be interested, Val!

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a good idea. I would think it might be very beneficial to your readers. I assume you'll be coming at these issues from a biblical perspective?

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

Add my name to the good idea list!

Years ago, I was finally able to talk my family into going to therapy. They did not wantto admit there was a problem, but there was a huge problem. It was so hard to find a Christian counselor!

You go, girl! I think this needs some deep exploration :)

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger Vicki said...

Hi Val!

I think since being a counselor is part of who you are, it only makes sense to share that aspect of your life with your readers. I say go for it! I might even submit a question:-)

hugs,
V.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

Would you find it a bit much though, councelling all day at work and then coming home to more? We have a saying here about things being a "bus man's holiday" - as long as you didn't find it weighing you down!


I am glad that you will still be blogging about your family life and I for one, would be most sorry if you gave up completely......

 
At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val

This would be very generous of your time and counsel.I would be interested.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Diane Viere said...

What a great idea! And what a ministry you would be offering!

Bless you for your willingness to share your God given gifts and skills in this online format.

Diane

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page