Tuesday, May 12, 2009



Fibromyalgia Awareness Day is Today


"The National Fibromyalgia Association's Theme for the 2009 National Fibromyalgia Awareness Day campaign is 'Fibromyalgia Affects Everyone' and will focus on the far-reaching effects of this disorder - from broken lives to the economic costs to patients and society." quote from http://www.fmaware.org/site/PageServer The above poster is from the same website.
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia over 10 years ago. Thanks to (almost) daily exercise, massage therapy, eating healthy, and using appropriate medication on an as needed basis, I am still able to function most days of the month. I do get flares, and on those days, I sometimes have to "take it easy". But, for the most part, I work through the pain and keep on going. My doctor told me 10 years ago that if I didn't have this kind of approach and learn how to take care of myself better, then I could possibly end up in a wheelchair in a few years.
It has taken its' toll on my in some ways, but I try to not focus on my limitations. Rather, I count my blessings and try not complain when I'm feeling horrible. Most people wouldn't even know that I have this syndrome, which can be a good thing and it can be a bad thing. The comment "but you look so healthy" can be a compliment, but it can also discount the pain that I am in. Nonetheless, I have learned how to adapt, how to live with this on a daily basis, and how to help others cope with it who come to me for help in my private practice.
So, take a moment and educate yourself on this disorder (it's not considered a "disease") by visiting the website. It's full of useful information for everybody.


2 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the illuminating message about fibromyalgia. I will learn more about your challenge.

Did I mention that I experienced mysterious numbness and fatigue when I was very young? Partial blindness when my babies were a few weeks old? Multiple Sclerosis was finally diagnosed. My faith necessarily increased with this crisis...

Love and life in Christ,

Michal Ann

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Dear Michal Ann - I'm sorry to hear about your MS. I have a sister who has Parkinson's Disease who is only 61. Life can be full of challenges - some physical and some emotional. I'll keep you in my prayers. Love, Valerie

P.S. Sorry I haven't answered your recent email - I've been very busy with paperwork and getting the house ready for graduation!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page