Thursday, September 08, 2005



Contrast

Visiting DQ's new school last night for "Meet the Teacher", I was struck with how vastly DIFFERENT it is to her prior school. The teachers are amazing - they are there to actually work for and work with my child. The principal is incredible - she has a zero-tolerance policy on any infraction of the rules, and follows through on consequences - yet, at the same time, she is a very warm and caring person. She commands respect, and gives you the same. She listens to your every word, without noticing everything else that is going on around her. She runs a very tight ship - and the kids going there are happy, friendly, and kind.

Contrast that to the reception I received and TP's school for their "Meet the Teacher" night on Tuesday. The teachers were aloof and wouldn't look me in the eyes (the ones whom I begged to help DQ for two years - and who wouldn't do anything to stop the torment she was going through). The principal brags about the "quality" of his teachers and his own abilities as a leader - yet nothing belies his words. He's a "schmoozer" - yet, if you dare question him or ask him about something, he will personally denigrate you and your family to other staff and families. When I was at this school Tuesday evening, and at the football game last Saturday evening, I felt like I had leprosy. The icy stares were so full of contempt.

I know I keep on promising to write about DQ's experience at this school. I have written several paragraphs already, and have them saved for future publishing - but it is so painful to write about. The amount of prejudice and disdain that she received at that so-called Christian school was beyond belief. All I can say right now is, thank God she is in an environment where she is treated with the respect and kindness to which everyone should be entitled. Thank God, the "old" DQ is resurfacing - she is getting back to being her fun-loving, bouncy, happy self. She has healed tremendously over the past few months, for which I am very grateful.

3 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Barbara: Yes, I have said prayers of thanksgiving! I, too, am hopeful she'll continue to flourish. Also - I hope you had a wonderful anniversary today!

Kelly: Thanks for letting me know about your daughter. What is your profession? I'm in the mental health field, so it looks like we're caregivers! Thanks for stopping by.

Valerie

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

I'm so happy to hear both girls are doing well! I'm starting to feel like I know them a bit from what all you have written about them.

Just do me a favor and warn me if you ever decide to post the part about what DQ went through last year. Better I not read it. Things like that tend to make me want to kick some...

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

Valerie, God does not like it when someone messes with His child. Rest easy in that your Daddy will take care of it.

Sometimes we must deal with the pain before we can actually deal with the pain. That's not really a conundrum but we have to settle everyhing in our heart first before we can deal with the folks that caused it all and then forgive them. The fact you went to the ball game is great and frankly, I just love it when folks that have "done me wrong" or one of my loved ones wrong, get all hot and bothered when I'm around. I just look at 'em sweetly and smile and say, 'God bless you.' Heaps burning coals on their heads. HA!

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page