Saturday, September 17, 2005



My, Aren't We Exciting???

Here it is, Saturday night, and both girls are at work. My husband is sitting in his easy chair, with his laptop on his lap. The tv is going with some sort of murder/mystery movie going. The dog is snuggled up next to me, trying to shove my laptop away from me so that I will welcome her onto my lap. My husband and I just returned back from our "date" for our anniversary - we had a lovely dinner at one of our favorite restaurants. I am sitting here thinking "is this what it's like to be old?". I mean, we are just the PICTURE of excitement here.

But, I don't need "excitement". I thrive on contentment. I value the time when things are "normal", and perhaps even a bit boring - because I have experienced so much turmoil and crisis in my life. To me, it can't get any better than this - the house is quietly anticipating the girls' return, and my hubby and I are just hanging out together.

So, while I don't really consider myself "old", I know I am not exactly young anymore. It used to be that Saturday nights were spent in a vastly different way than they are spent now - but you know, that is all right with me. I don't need to be young to appreciate and value life. I don't need to be young to have fun or be content. I don't need to be young - age is just relative, anyway. All I need is love - and I have plenty of it here, on this quiet and peaceful Saturday evening, from my husband and dog (who are now both sound asleep and snoring - exciting, right?), and from my girls who will soon be returning home with stories from their day.

I love my less-than-exciting life.

7 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

I've decided that being an adult is not the opposite of being a child. You can be both at the same time.

Congrats on the anniversary!!!

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Jeff - That is so true!!! And thanks for the congratulations.

Also, I urge my readers to head over to Jeff's blog - he's been hard at work, and it will be well worth your while to spend some time and enjoy his last few entries. One of these days, when I spruce up my blog, I'll be able to proudly put Jeff on my Blog Roll (and all my other friends, too).

Valerie

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Well said. I don't kow those days yet, it's never peaceful here, but I do look forward to them.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Stacy said...

Contentment is a gift from God, it translates to peace and I love it. Congratulations.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Sarah: You will know those days soon enough. Actually, my days are always hectic, but I am still content. It's such a welcome experience after experiencing all the ups and downs with my daughter's illness, which I know you are very familiar with because of your daughter, Anna.

Stacy - It is SUCH a gift, I agree. Thanks for stopping by!

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

AMEN! I love Saturday nights like that!

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Gel said...

Happy Belated 30 yr Anniversary!
Cozy contentment is far deeper than most "excitement."

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page