Friday, December 30, 2005



2005 In Review

At the end of every year, I usually write an entry in my journal which touches on the memorable events of that year, and my resolutions for the new year. This year, it shall be no different - and I thought I'd like to share a little bit of my journal entry with the friends I have made on the blogosphere.

This year has been difficult in many ways, and miraculous in other ways. The difficulties we encountered had to do with TP's illness, and DQ's school environment up until April. The amount of emotional energy directed towards both situations was beyond anything I had ever experienced before. The continuous, intense outpouring of maternal nurturing and care-giving was even more exhausting than what I experienced when they were infants. Yet, there were many glimmers of calm and comfort which helped me through each day; and there were several instances of God's healing with His miraculous touch which deepened and sustained my faith.

Now, here I am at the brink of the New Year, and I look back over the past twelve months and think "wow, you made it"! Yes, I did make it - by the grace of God, and with the support of family and friends (including all of you). I am HOPING 2006 will be a little "easier", but only time will tell. In the meantime, I have made some resolutions which should help me as I face the challenges of a New Year.

My first resolution is to ask others for help. Somewhere along the way, I decided I needed to handle everything myself (control issue here?). This year, I found out out I couldn't do it all myself - and I became physically ill holding on to the belief I could. Well, that's not going to happen in 2006.

My second resolution is to put it ALL in the Lord's hands. Period. He'll know what to do with it far better than I ever will.

My third resolution is to improve the quality of my prayer life. I find I spend more time making requests of God than I do just in dialogue with God.

My fourth resolution is to draw closer to my family members.

My fifth resolution is the obligatory "lose weight and get back in shape". And I REALLY do mean it this year!! I'm getting to the age where people begin to develop major health problems if they don't take care of themselves - and I want to do all I can to take care of my physical, emotional, and spiritual health.

I've noticed that a lot of people don't make New Year's resolutions because "I'm just setting myself up for failure because I always break them by the end of January". I am beginning to think that's a cop out - because, in essence, that person isn't taking responsiblity for making some needed changes in his or her life.

There are PLENTY of changes which I need to make - and I plan to get started on them beginning January 1st. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my final day of "laziness" by eating some of those delicious chocolate truffles and whatever else strikes my fancy!

To all of you - you have become a wonderful part of my life over the past several months. Thank you for all your prayers, support, comments, and love. I treasure you all, and look forward to sharing 2006 with you. May God bless you with peace and health in the New Year!

10 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Blogger Pilgrim said...

Thank you for the great example of New Year's resolutions. I think those are so practical and on the mark.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

Val - I, too, am going to focus on enriching my prayer life. Let's keep in touch and see if we can't share what we learn with each other on this journey.

And when you figure out how to let other people help you with things instead of trying to do it all yourself...well, feel free to share THAT piece of knowledge with me, as well. : )

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

happy new year!!! (hug)

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

I'm not a beleiver in resolutions, but I say it's cause why wait till the first to improve, any time is good! Yeah, yeah, I know...

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Happy New Year to you too! Those are great resalutions.

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Colleen said...

I think resolutions give us hope and I have made a few myself. It gives us something to look towards. You've set yourself up a great list keep focused and you will accomplish.
I wish you and your family a happy 2006. Take care.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Fern Bourrie said...

Enjoyed reading your blog. Happy New Year!!!

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger ukok said...

Valerie,

Your post's always inspire me, you express yourself so beautifully. I'm so glad to have made your acqaintance back in 2005 (like it was such a long time ago!) and thanks so much for all your wonderful comments over on my blog over the last few months :)

God Bless.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Great post...you're inspiring me to consider making a few New Year's resolutions myself.

And I can so relate to trying to do everything by yourself. I'm frequently guilty of that one, and have to remind myself that it is simply impossible for one person to do it all.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger bigwhitehat said...

God bless you and your family. Those are great resolutions.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page