Monday, November 28, 2005



In My Heart

It was a wonderful weekend with the kids and hubby. Thanksgiving was extra-special this year, given TP's health scare from a couple of weeks ago, and given that DQ has found her niche at school. Friday was spent with my husband, tackling long lines at stores, but we were able to get the bulk of our shopping done before noon (and, just in case the kids read this, I am not mentioning what we bought for them!). Saturday and Sunday were spent combining chores, errands, and decorating the house. Speaking of which, my house is a disaster area right now, and it will be that way for the next day or two as I put the finishing touches on the decorations (I tend to go all-out at Christmastime).

This will be TP's last Christmas with us as a "child". It's a rather bittersweet realization, and I am overwhelmed at times with memories of past holidays. The age-old poignant question keeps on tugging at my heart "where did all the years go?", to which I have no reply. How I wish I could wrap those years all up like Christmas presents and then unwrap them, one by one, ever so slowly, savoring each and every year once again. The subtle changes I see inTP as she pulls away from us towards independence are presents, too, because each of them is like a unique gift which delights all who know her with its' special touch coming from her soul.

I have already received one of my Christmas gifts this year. It was a letter from DQ's principal acknowledging that DQ was on the honor roll for the first term. Inside the letter was one of those obnoxious "My child is an academic honor roll student at. . . " bumper stickers - you know, the kind that when you read them on somebody else's bumper, you kind of roll your eyes and say "yeah, whatever". Of course when it's YOUR kid, you get a secret kind of glee at being able to stick that thing on your bumper! (Oh well, at least I'm honest!). Anyway, I guess this bumper sticker is EXTRA special to me because of DQ's past experiences at her prior school. This was, indeed, cause for celebration! The joy on her face when she saw that sticker was amazing to see.

Hey, you know, I am SO blessed to be able to be my kids' mom - in the good times and the bad. And I thank God each and every day for my girls, who are growing up and growing away, yet always remaining the same in my heart.

9 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

You made me cry with this one Valarie. I think when I read your posts I get flashed forward to when my girls are older. As much as I try to deny it, someday my girls will be at that stage. I can't imagine my "last christams" with them. I will savor every momment this Christmas with them. Thank You.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Like Sarah, this made me look ahead to when my daughters are grown up. My oldest turned 11 today. She's growing up soo very fast. She's a beautiful girl. But I still see that little peanut who loved nobody but mommy. Now she's so sociable and loves people and has a gazillion friends.

I'd put the bumper sticker on my car too! haha

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger ukok said...

I hear you!

My children are growing up so fast that I sometimes feel like crying just thinking that I won't have the pleasure of always having them in my home and in my arms

...I suppose that there will be great reward in knowing, that like you, that as mothers, we have given them enough love, support, encouragement and moral conviction, not to mention a firm foundation in their faith, that we will be able to relinquish the reigns of motherhood, without too many a tear streaming down our face...but I can't imagine ever being that strong that I won't cry like a baby!

God Bless.

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Pilgrim said...

Mel at Actual Unretouched Photo is fond of quoting, "The days are long, but the years are short." An old lady once told her that, and it's come true for her.
Congratulations on the bumpersticker. I give you grace. You may display it with pride. :-)

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Hi Sarah: I remember when my girls were at the same age that yours are at right now, and not being able to imagine them as teenagers/young women! I was in total denial about it for a long time. But now, here we are, and you know, it's not bad. I have loved EVERY stage they have gone through (yes, even the teenage years), and they will ALWAYS be my "little girls".

Tyra: Yes, healthy and thriving is something to be very grateful for, isn't it??? My oldest still likes to "snuggle" but not so with my youngest. It sounds like you had a nice holiday, too!

Mrs. D: Happy Birthday to your oldest!!! It's great that she's so social. (Thanks for your input about the bumper sticker!).

Ukok: It's so good to hear from you!!! But the tears you shed will be mixed with such immense pride and love, that it will take the sting away. . .

Paula - I love you, lots - you always know exactly what to say!

Julana - It is displayed with pride (and not a bit of arrogance at all). I am very, very proud of her!

Ann - A very warm welcome to my blog. I look forward to getting to know you, and I will come over for a visit at your place really soon!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

Oh, go ahead and savor that bumper sticker! I know the feeling of a mom's delight in her children. Cherish it all!

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Glad your thanksgiving went well.

As for TP growing up, I will give you one of my infamous lines. History is made of two things; destiny and wasted time.

Every minute you spend well is fulfilling God's will. Good job Mom.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Pilgrim said...

Valerie,
I tagged you for the meme of sevens that is circulating the blogs, if you have time. No hurry. The instructions are on my blog. Sometimes these seems like a chore, but you learn something about yourself when you do them.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

That is so funny to hear you say that you never were excited about those bumper stickers before it was YOUR kid. I see them all the time and my first reaction is always like yours - yeah...whatever! But then I stop and think about my parents and how the words "Oh, yes, they are ALL on the honor roll this time" would come flying out of their mouths at every opportunity. So, Valerie, I never thought I'd say this to you...but go "stick it!"

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page