Wednesday, May 10, 2006



Growing Old Gracefully

Happy Birthday to ME!

Actually, at first I decided NOT to celebrate my birthday this year, as I am WAY over the hill. I woke up feeling pretty sorry for myself, now that I am officially __ years old. Then, I decided that I needed an attitude adjustment because I have so very much for which to be thankful.

I have a great husband who works hard to provide for the family. His "secret" to a successful marriage, which he is fond of telling everybody, is to always say to me "yes, dear, whatever you want". HA! I'll not comment on that one!

I have two precious daughters, who are the lights of my life. We've had our differences, but I wouldn't trade them for anything or anyone. They are my pride and joy!

I have a great job - actually, it's more of a vocation for me. My only complaint is the insurance companies who demand so much of my time due to the paperwork involved.

And, I have made some great blogging buddies over the past year! You guys are awesome - thanks for "being there" for me.

Finally, I have been so richly blessed by God in so many ways throughout my life. I had a wonderful conversation this morning with Him, and I thanked him for all that He has given to me.

Age has nothing to do with how valuable a person is to others or to God. Yet, we live in a society which places such high value on a person's looks and youth. I have decided to grow old GRACEFULLY, with the help of God's merciful and abundant graces which are present everday, in every way.



16 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger ukok said...

Happy Birthday you beautiful, extraordinary, compassionate, encourgaing woman you! Have a great one.

You exude grace (yes, even via the internet)and you have nothing at all to worry about on that score :-)

God bless you with a great many more grace filled years.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Pilgrim said...

Have a Happy Birthday! We do have a lot to be thankful for, we Christians living here in the United States. We mothers of children.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!! Age is just a number. You're only as old as you feel

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

Happy Birthday Val!!!

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

Warmest wishes on your birthday! Fantastic list of blessings you got there, woman! And don't think you're not on all of OUR lists cause you are!

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Spirit of Adoption said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! Every year given to you is a GIFT!!!! He has been kind to your family, friends, and all the lives you have touched for sustaining your life!!!! Praise Him!!!

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

Bonnie - Yes, I've read that book!!! Thank you for your kind wishes and beautiful prayer for me!

Tyra - "May babies" are special, aren't they?! Thanks!

Ukok - You are so sweet. Your words touched my heart very deeply - thank you!

Julana - Amen, we mothers of children have SO much for which to be thankful.

Mrs. D - There are some days I feel 90!!! But my attitude towards life is full of enthusiasm, and teenagers keep me "young", too!

Barbara - What a neat way to *sing* "Happy Birthday" to me!!! Thank you so much!


Hi Jackie - Thanks so much. Have I told you how pretty you look in your profile picture?

Paula - SSHHH - you weren't supposed to tell my age! I loved your prayer, and I love you, too!

Jules - I could have written even a longer list of blessings! Thanks for your wishes.

Gayla - I am glad to share a birthday with your dad. Thank you so much!

Shawnda - Amen!

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Sorry I missed the actualy day, but here goes {spirit of Elvis}:

Well Happy, Happy Birthday Baby
Well today is your birthday
Well Happy, Happy Birthday Baby
Well today is your birthday

I'd buy you lots of flowers,
But they would fade away
I'd buy you lots of chocolate,
But it'd be gone in a day

So, Happy, Happy Birthday Baby
Well today is your birthday
Well Happy, Happy Birthday Baby
Well today is your birthday
Yeah Baby it's your Big Day!!!

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger JodiTucker said...

Belated birthday greetings to you!!
Berrymom and many others said it all so well.............so I echo their comments!

How many "29 year olds" are in the USA these days? Hmmmmmmmmm.

(I just tell people I was a child bride and had my kids as age 8, 10, and 12 to prove my 29-ness.)

Seriously, Happy BD!!

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Jackie said...

*blush blush* thanks Val...

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

MY birthday is on May 10th! Happy Day to you ;)

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Stacy said...

I am so sorry I missed it!!! Age is nothing to be scared of, they're just numbers. Be proud of it.

I hope your birthday was wonderful.

p.s. I take no offense to you visiting Jeff and then me. ;)

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

happy mother's day!!

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Stacy: "I take no offense to you visiting Jeff and then me."

Age before beauty, my dear.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

Hi Jeff: Better late than never! Love your Elvis impersonation! And stop picking on Stacy - we don't want her to leave the blogospphere again (I know she started it, but you are a man so you should be able to take it - HA!) Thanks for your birthday wishes. .

Jodi: I do the same thing with my *age issue* - I tell people I was married at the age of 10! Thanks for stopping by!

Gina: We've always had so much in common, so it doesn't surprise me that we share a birthday. You're a bit younger than I am, but I won't hold that against you! :-)

Stacy - Yes, I've earned every one of these wrinkles and gray hairs. My kids owe me BIG TIME for all of this "damage". Thanks for dropping in and wishing me a happy birthday.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Oh wow. HAppy (Belated) birthday to ya!
-Nettie

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page