Tuesday, January 29, 2008



Healing

I thought I had "heard it all" when it came to horrific stories of childhood abuse, but recently, a client came forth with such a terrible story that I litterally felt physically ill. I've been a counselor for over 20 years now, and over the years, I have learned how to detach myself from the pain which my clients are experiencing yet still remain empathetic and compasisonate. I have learned how necessary it is for me to leave what is said within the safe confines of my office there, and not bring it home with me. I have learned how to absorb my clients' pain, but not internalize it and hold onto it so that it becomes my own.

But last week, there was this young woman who touched me so deeply that I wanted to bring her home. I wanted to give her the unconditional love that every child should be given as a birth-right. I wanted to take the pain away and fill up that void and show her God's love for her. But all I could do was listen. And pray silently in my heart.

I don't think she's ever had anybody to just listen to her before, because as she was leaving my office, she smiled and said "It is SO good to have somebody to talk to who just listens and is kind".

She will have a long journey in front of her - healing all those wounds inflicted on her by her family and "friends". And I will be right there next to her, helping her all the way. For this is my vocation - what God has called me to do. And I am so humbled by this calling - to be an instrument of God's healing.

4 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

This is how I see you, too, Valerie....loving, kind, empathetic, and full of compassion. I wish I knew someone like you with whom I could pour out my own heart sometimes. God bless you for being God's instrument in this woman's life.

love,
Vicki

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger ukok said...

I agree with Vicki that you are loving, empathetic and full of compassion. I wish we lived nearby because I just know we would become very close friends in real time. But I won't complain, I'll take the beautiful friendship that you offer through this medium, and still feel blessed to know you.

Thanks be to God fo your good news and i will continue to pray for your test next week.

Prayers ascend also for your client.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Oh Vicki - you are so sweet! Thank you. You, too, are a healer of sorts, because of being a nurse. I'm certain you have helped many, many people in your live as well.

Deb - I wish we lived nearby, too! But, I know that someday I will come over and visit, God willing. I'm blessed to know you, too - and I've kept you in my prayers what with all that is going on in your life right now.

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger ann said...

I have the same sentiment about you that Vicki and ukok both do! It seems strange to feel like you have met a person, know that you would be friends, and yet you've never seen her in real life! I think God places people (whether physically or otherwise) in our lives when we need them most. You've inspired me, touched me with your words and really helped me to look at some issues in my life that I could not "mend" on my own.
I have recently started seeing a counselor - a Christian counselor - because of some very deep personal issues that I'm trying to deal with and learn from to get myself on track to live the second half (or thereabouts) of my life. I need to get healthy - emotionally - and finally figured out I could really use the help of someone compassionate, caring and trained in dealing with issues like mine.
Thank you, Valerie, for showing me that seeking help is not a bad thing. And really, I want you to know how much it means - as your client told you - to have someone listen, really listen to you without judgement. To feel like someone really cares about you and your emotional health!
In His Love and Blessings,
annb

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page