Wednesday, July 19, 2006



BEWARE - CONTROVERSIAL SUBJECTS

I'm going to be writing about two rather controversial subjects which are probably not related to each other, but which are in the forefront of my life right now.

The first subject has to do with EMBRYONIC stem cell research. As you know, today President Bush vetoed the bill which supported this kind of research. As he said, "If this bill were to become law, American taxpayers would, for the first time in our history, be compelled to fund the deliberate destruction of human embryos, and I'm not going to allow it." He believes, as do I, that embroyos are the beginnings of human lives, and as such, they should be protected from death. Pure and simple. (BTW, The Anchoress has an excellent article on this subject - check it out at www.theanchoressonline.com .)

I would like to share with you that my oldest sister has Parkinson's disease. This subject is one which we can't discuss because we see this so differently. She believes that this kind of research is necessary in order to find treatments and/or a cure for her disease. What she doesn't realize is that research being done with adult stem cells is far more promising and is yielding impressive results.

My oldest daughter, TP, has chronic lupus nephritis. A few months ago, we were discussing this topic in light of the new treatments for lupus, and I explained to her how her aunt felt about this. TP stared at me with a horrified look in her eyes and said, "Mom, I could never live with myself, knowing that another human being died so that I could live". This, from a woman-child who faces a future in which flare-ups will occur, and who will always need to be vigilant about medications and blood-draws to see if the lupus is still in remission. I know part of her opinion on embryonic stem-cell research also has to do with the fact that she is adopted - and she was given the chance to live rather than be aborted. So, she identifies with the possible destruction of those embryos because that possibility could have been a reality for her 18 years ago.

The other issue I want to bring up is medical records for adopted children.

Last week, TP was featured in a local newspaper article about being stricken with lupus in her sophomore year, and how she went about tackling the illness while still maintaining a 4.0 GPA and being involved in many activities. The article discussed how this disease strengthened TP's faith in God, and how it helped her make the decision to become a nurse. The reporter was an intern from a local university. One of the questions she had for me was "Do you think that if you had TP's medical records, it would have made a difference"?

Oh, please. . .

I can see the makings of a wonderful MSM reporter. To me, this was so TOTALLY irrelevant to the story! And, I basically told the reporter that! I told her that even if we had all of TP's medical records, it still, in no way, would have prevented the disease from occurring. I even asked her to not put that question in the article, but she went ahead and did it anyway. It was obvious it was HER agenda to bring up this particular topic. I'm now debating whether or not to say anything to the editor of the paper, as there were several other mistakes (quoting us incorrectly, leaving DQ out of the story) in the article as well.

What are your thoughts?

12 Comments:

At 11:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow that's a lot of stuff to think about. I totally believe that an embryo is a human soul right from conception. No one has a right to take that life.

I'm sorry the reporter mis-quoted you but that's all too common I'm afraid.

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Stacy said...

I say just to make yourself feel better, yes, contact the editor; at least you'll know you tried.

The hubby and I were just discussing this. He was unaware of the facts regarding stem cell research and was shocked when I relayed the reality of it to him. The general public has been fooled by the MSM and activists.

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger bigwhitehat said...

My thoughts are predictable.

I agree with the president entirely.

All of the current productive research is being done on cord stem cells and adult stem cells.

This is a purely political issue driven by pro-abortion factions.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger JodiTucker said...

Hi Val,
Yep....in total agreement about stem cell research with only adult stem cells. It still confounds me that some see an unborn child at any stage as a glob of cells or not even LIFE before the second trimester.

Regarding the newspaper thing, pray about it, talk with hubby, then go with your gut to speak (or not)to the editor. Sounds like TP was a model of faith to others though!!

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

You GO girl. Speak to the editor! Write a letter to the editor! When we sit back and allow the irresponsible reporting to go on just because we think it won't do any good, we are perpetuating the irresponsibility. See if you can get a spot on your local morning show. Light a shuck under that rookie reporter and under the editor. You never know what kind of IMPACT you'll have until you at least TRY!

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Jeff H said...

I'm with you on the embryonic stem cell research question: that particular form of research has not paid one single dividend in the way of actual treatment--it's all smoke-and-mirrors so far, a dreamer's fancy. Adult stem cell research is actually paying dividends RIGHT NOW. And contrary to what has been reported, President Bush's previous executive order denying federal funds for embryonic stem cell research did NOT "outlaw" such research, but simply said FEDERAL FUNDS would not be used for such research. Private funds can still be used.

On Parkinson's: My dad died from Parkinson's in 1998, after battling the disease for 28 years. He was very young when diagnosed (just 38), and his neurologist said he had the worst case of it he'd ever seen. Yet despite watching his body and mind degenerate over almost 3 decades of suffering, I as still adamantly opposed to destroying embryos for the purpose of scientific research.

And lastly, did the paper post the story about TP on-line? If so, can you provide a link? Congrats!!! And I would say something to the editor--demand an apology printed in the paper.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Spirit of Adoption said...

Amen to all you said about stem cell research, and it's neat to hear TP's response as ya'll talked about it!!! Her convictions are pure and from the Spirit!!!

As for the paper. It's SO neat to hear how they did a story on TP!!! And fun to hear how they highlighted her life and faith in Christ!!! But Grrr!! I'd be frustrated if I were you about the question and misquotes! I suppose the question is will it bring more glory to God to write to the editor or keep silent?? Or will it bring more glory to yourself to write to the editor? I don't know the answer to that, but just an honest question to ask yourself : ) I always love reading your thoughts and questions...thanks for sharing!

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Valerie,
I just wanted to pop over and thank you for the comment you left on my site. I look forward to visiting your site and I'm so glad we've been "introduced".

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Thank you for standing up for your conviction on this issue. I agree with you. And I was touched by the daughter who would not want to live at the expense of another life. What people don't understand is that it isn't just about embryonic stem cell research. That is just the current chapter in a book. The book is about sanctity of life. When we give in to one chapter, then that leads us to another chapter. Before we know it, there is a snowball effect. Then we come to the "end" of the book, so to speak. Respect for Human life is over and the book is closed.
I am also always amazed at how the same people who do not value embryonic life would give their right arm to save an unborn animal. I too love animals. But humans were made in God's image. We were God Breathed.
Thanks again for speaking out!
God Bless!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Hello Valerie,
This is Susan from Celadon Pool. I've managed to create a blogger account then I could speak to you in person.
God Bless.

Life begins at conception, and we should not misuse that life or take it away at any stage. That is what I believe.
God Bless.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger JL said...

Wow. I just found this today and am very much in awe of TP for those great words. Stem cell research is a big huge controversy in my family. My brother is T-2 paraplegic after a motorcycle accident a couple of years ago. He is a strong advocate for stem cell research. I find it hard to say anything in his presence about it because I don't want to get into a huge battle over it. Good for her, taking her stand. I admire it.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger RedWritingHood said...

Speak to the editor. I am a writer for several different magazines. Two things may happen:

1) The editor dismisses your complaint because he/she just wants to put out the most controversial story.

2) The editor hears your complaint and can correct the reporter so that it does not happen again.

There are no fact and quote checkers, even in the major daily newspapers - there is no time!

I write for three magazines for a combined total of about 300,000 readers... these are monthly and bi-weekly papers... still no fact-checkers.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page