Friday, July 28, 2006



One Sunny Afternoon in July

Yesterday afternoon, I was driving with DQ to pick up a friend who was going to spend the night here. We came upon a car accident about a minute after it had happened. An SUV was laying on its' side, the front windshield smashed into smithereens. A semi was in the median, with the driver standing next to the open door. He was bent over in anguish. A woman, about my age, was laying face up in the middle of the highway, perfectly still. Her body was motionless. She had massive brain trauma. I found out today that she died. She had run through a stop sign, was struck by the semi, and was ejected from her SUV. She hadn't been wearing her seat belt.

Whenever I hear sirens, I always say an "Our Father." The nuns in my grade school started me with that practice many, many years ago. It is said for the people who are needing help, and also the workers who will be ateending to their needs. Yesterday was no different. Instinctively, I knew the lady was close to death when I said my prayer.

I wonder why she ran the stop sign. She was from this area, so she should have known it was there. Was the afternoon sun in her eyes? Was she looking for her cell phone? Was she just daydreaming? What I do know is that she left behind a family who will have all of those questions as well.

Today, as I drove down that road again, I looked at the strip of road where this woman had drawn her last breath. All evidence of the accident was gone. I said yet another "Our Father" for this woman's family.

I will never, ever take life for granted again. I will cherish these moments with my girls, as if today were the last day I am with them. Each and every morning, I will wonder if this day is going to be my last, and live that day accordingly.

And may this woman, Theresa, rest in peace with the risen Lord.

11 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Father we lift this family up to you, help them in their pain of the loss of this lady. And Father we remember the other people involved, heal and help them too. Finally look after Valerie and her family, keep them safe and well. AMEN

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

Val, I had this same experience about two months ago except I had no bodies to look at - just a semi and a passenger car that had nothing left from the front windshield back.

I almost threw up in the middle of the road...

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

What a heartbreaking post.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Nettie said...

Oh wow. Taht was so eloquent and moving. Just...you put it better tahn I ever could.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That is so sad. Such a tragedy. Makes you think that life is so fragile. I'm like you...whenever I hear a siren, I say a prayer for whoever is needing that assistance.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

Amen.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Vicki said...

I always cringe a little and pray when I hear sirens. My heart goes out to Theresa's family, and I'm lifting up prayers for them this afternoon. Reminds me of the time my daughter's friend got killed in a car accident--years ago. Little did we know that the last time we saw her at church that Sunday would be the last time. Thankfully, she knew the Lord, and rejoices in heaven with Him.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

Susan - What a beautiful prayer.

Jules - I had the same kind of visceral reaction.

Tammy - Very heartbreaking. I still can't stop thinking about it.

Father - I know exactly what you're saying. Most of my experience has been at Children's Hospital, due to my daughter's illness, and when a child is involved, it's even more difficult.

Hi Nettie - I haven't heard from you for awhile. I hope all is well with you.

Mrs. D - Thanks for stopping by. I just knew you'd be one who'd say a prayer, too.

Hi Gina - Amen, indeed.

Kevin - You know, now that I think about it, I actually say an Our Father, Hail Mary, and Glory Be.

Vicki - I was comforted when I read this lady's obituary, because they mentioned how active she was in her church. Somehow, I had a sense that she was a very devout woman - don't know how or why, but I just did.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Stacy said...

My oldest son's friend's sister died on Friday night. She was going too fast on a dangerous road, a road we all tell our kids to stay off of. She had passengers, they lived, she didn't. Although this story is tragic, and there are families out there (boy do I know this one) suffering, we all need to take it as a reminder as to how fragile we all truly are; and that every decision we make MATTERS. Our Father.

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Valerie said...

Stacy - I'm so sorry to hear about this tragedy. It can happen in a split second, that's all it takes. I'll say a prayer for the family.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Jeff H said...

Lessons, hard though they be to learn in such moments:

1. Large vehicles are no guarantee of survival in a crash.

2. Wear seat belts, all the time, even if you're just backing out of your driveway to let another car out.

3. Always keep yourself "prayed up" and ready to meet God. Always.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page