Wednesday, November 23, 2005



HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Thanksgiving holds a special place in my heart, especially this year.

This year has been such a mixture of extreme highs and extreme lows, and because we've been endured so much, our family has experienced many tests of our strengths and weaknesses. There have been many moments of pure joy, despair, happiness, agony, laughter, and anger. The ultimate result, however, has been a profound sense of GRATITUDE.

I am grateful for my hubby's new job with excellent health insurance - we'd be in deep trouble without either the job or the insurance benefits. I am also grateful that my guy is such a good and decent man. He'd do anything for his family - and it shows in his sense of dedication to us. Poor thing - he's surrounded by women, but he takes it all in stride.

I am grateful for TP's presence in my life. She's been through so much physically and emotionally this past year - but her strength and faith have helped her weather many a storm. I am blessed to have her as a daughter. She has brought so much love into my life. I can't imagine life without her - and that point was brought home to me so dramatically two weeks ago when she was so ill.

I am grateful for DQ - my amazing "baby". She experienced the ugly reality of racism in this world, and it has taught her the valuable lesson of loving yourself no matter what anybody else says. She embraces life with a zeal I have rarely seen, and nothing (or no one) is going to stop her from getting where she wants to be in life. She is so strong and resilient - and I am so very proud of her.

I am grateful for the life the Lord has given to me. I remember an assignment which was given to me when I was in high school, where the teacher asked us to write a story of where we thought we'd be when we were the age I am at right now. I am not anywhere near where I thought I'd be - in fact, I am way BEYOND it. Back then, it was all about how "successful" I was going to be. Now, I define success in much different terms. It's not about recognition anymore. It's about the love of a family. It's not about fame anymore. It's about making a difference in the life of a child. It's not about "things". It's about people. It's about God.

Thanksgiving is being grateful for the many blessings bestowed upon us by our Lord. So, this year, when we gather around the table, I can't wait to hear what my kids are going to say when we talk about the blessings we received this year.

One more thing - I am grateful for all of the "blogging buddies" I have made over the past few months. Each of you hold a very special place in my heart. I appreciate your support and prayers and fellowship. And I wish each and every one of you a blessed Thanksgiving (even those people in different countries!). May God bless you all.

9 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I hope that you and your sweet family will have a happy thanksgiving. I'm happy your daughter is home to share it with you.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. I am also Thankful for my blogging buddies such as you!

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

What a great "second" family we have found here through blogging and what a remarkable year it has been.

I'm sure someday I'll look back and think I kind of had a "boring year" but you can bet that's not going to be the case THIS year!

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger bigwhitehat said...

An attitude of thanksgiving is the only thing between us and discontent.

Have a terrific thanksgiving. LYS

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger ukok said...

Happy Belated Thanksgiving, Valerie!

God Bless you and your beautiful family.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Valerie said...

HI Tyra: "Blessed" describes it perfectly, and I wish you and yours a wonderful time today!

Maechell: Welcome to my site! I'll keep your family in my prayers as well, and I wish all of you a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Mrs D - Same to you!!!

Darlene: Why, thank you very much! I know Canadians aren't celebrating Thanksgiving today (isn't yours in October?), but I appreciate your kind wishes. I am VERY happy TP is home, too.

Barbara: Thank you, my dear friend. You have been a blessing to me as well.

Sarah: GIve a special hug to Anna for me, too. You guys are an inspiration to me!

Julie: Yes, this "blogdom" is like a second family, isn't it? I am amazed at how firm the friendships have become over the past several months.

BWY: Hey, I am going to swipe that quote and use it some time, OK? Thank you for your wishes. Can I ask a dumb question? What does LYS mean???

Paula: Sweetie, you are such a strong believer and a wonderful source of support for me. Thank you so much. I am just getting ready to sit down and "eat all I want" (thanks for giving me permission to do so).

Love to all of you - Valerie

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Pilgrim said...

Hope you're having a great holiday. We also have so much to be thankful for, in the area of job, insurance, family health, etc. Like yours, my definition of success has changed a great deal in the last few years. :-) Maybe even turned upside down. :-) And I'm thankful for all my blogfriends, too. Stay warm!

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

Happy day after day after Thanksgiving :) I had a grand day with family and an absolutely perfect day with the Lord. He is so precious. I praise Him for all the friends I've found in Blogland.

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page