Friday, June 29, 2007



Summertime

Well, my vacation is officially over. I'm back to work tomorrow morning. Our time in Michigan was very, very enjoyable. My husband's parents are so special to me, and it was fun helping my sister celebrate her 40th wedding anniversary. It was exciting to watch the girls go "tubing" behind a jet-ski, and heartwarming to see them play with their little three year old cousin. I remember when my girls were that age, and how much fun they would have spending days at Nana's and Papa's beach. I was able to spend some quiet time on the beach, and the sound of the waves lapping at the shore lulled me into a serene state of relaxation. On the longest day of the year (which was the first day of summer), it was still light outside at 10:45 p.m. Have I mentioned lately how much I miss living in Michigan?

So, I am in a position now where I really need to pick up some more hours of work. I could always increase my caseload, but in all honesty, I am not so certain that is the answer for me. If I see too many clients, I am afraid that it's not very healthy for me. I've been checking into perhaps getting in on a franchise business. Have any of you ever done that line of work before? If so, what was the experience like? Is is something that you would recommend?

My to-do list has grown an extra couple of feet since being off. I was going to try to whittle it down since we actually returned on Tuesday, but other things kept on getting in the way - like getting the windshield replaced, doing laundry, working on financial aid applications with my oldest, taking my youngest to the dentist to get a cavity filled, paying the bills, making a ton of phone calls including one to Verizon about a HUGE cellphone bill, etc. I'm hoping that I'll be able to tackle that list over the weekend, and then again, after the 4th. It's hard to believe it's almost the 4th of July, isn't it?! I'm already seeing fall and Christmas decorations being put up in the craft stores. Not ready for that yet, period.

Relax and enjoy the summer - it's only here for such a brief time!

11 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger HeyJules said...

Welcome back, Val. I sure did miss hanging out.

I've never done the franchise thing but the one that seems to be the reall winner around here are the Curves franchises. I've heard you can make some great friends and good money owning one.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger ann said...

I'm glad you had a good vacation. The beach sounds wonderful! Don't you wish you could get a vacation from the To-Do list? It's like even if you go on vacation it's still there, tugging at you, calling you, begging for you attention! I can't believe you had daylight until 10:45 - that must have been fun! Of course, even when the sun is up here lately you can't see it for all the clouds and rain - 17 days in a row now! Glad you're back!
annb

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Val, call me and we can discuss the franchise business.

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Yes, our list never seems to end. Summer is definately flying by. Thanks for the reminder to slow down and enjoy.

Love ya!

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*delights in the fact that she is no longer in retail and having to PUT UP those decorations*

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Heavy.

Val, doing a franchise is a serious time commitment. Choose wisely with great forethought.

I have friends who went broke because they would not put in the hours. Others have done well and now have plenty of free time. Not to mention financial comfort.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Spirit of Adoption said...

YAY! So thankful that the vacation was GOOD!!!!! That's a HUGE praise to our Lord! The beach sounds like a GREAT place to be RIGHT NOW!!!! However, I don't know about Michigan....esp in the winter!

I don't know anything about franchises! Wish I could offer something to ya, but never been down that road.....and I don't know anybody that has!

BUT one that we have often talk about doing is Jamba Juice OR Caribou coffee!!! Both big faves of ours!! : )

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm delighted that you had such a wonderfully relaxing time with your family. I'm glad your back though,'cos it means I get to read your posts again ;-)

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Imperfect Christian said...

I wish you had been my case worker...

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger JodiTucker said...

Greetings, Val. In spite of no vacation this summer for us in order to save money (three kids in college this fall!!), I have been having some sweet and quiet times with the Lord at home that have been very encouraging, invigorating, and even producing a heart of "stillness." Pete and I may have a weekend trip to a state park in OH and that will be our little vacation and I an content with that!....Psalm 46:10...Yeah!

Can't help you in the franchise area...never did that or had any big desire either. Glad you have returned from MI and are back to blogging because you impart reality and wisdom at the same time.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Pilgrim said...

Good for you. :-)

 

Post a Comment


Thank you for your thoughts...

Back to the main page